Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Hatch Day Happenings

What a happy Hatch Day we celebrated last week!  As you can see in the photo - the girls really enjoyed their polenta cake with cottage cheese "frosting."   Like any group of two-year-olds, they were soon covered in it and standing in it to boot! 

And as any good mother hen would do, I made sure that they didn't eat it all at once -- good to save some for later.

Our guests had a equally good time, if 12 bottles of wine amongst 10 people is any indication. You'll notice I'm not posting any of those photos!  

I did receive a fabulous Hatch Day gift from my good friends Sandy and Jack - check out our newest addition to the flock.  She's a heavy metal chick and sure looks great in the garden!

Speaking of the garden, we had our first salad of the season this week - baby arugula, mesclun, radishes and chives.  I tossed a packet of arugula and mesclun in a raised bed just before we left for vacation in April -- I'm so glad I did!  The rest of the cool crops are coming along - the kale, beets, chard, spinach and pak choi are still tiny sprouts; and the potatoes in barrels are popping up too!  My tomato starts are so tiny that I am going to buy plants from the farmer's market.  I'll be starting those tomatoes in February next year!   

Here are a few photos of my raised beds and a couple of "before and after" images from the garage project last summer.  Let me know how your garden is doing!

The old shed and the new garage!  Hot tub gone - chicken coop in its place!
             
Former and current garden space.

3 comments:

  1. Really looking great! Love that metal chicken for your yard.
    Our chicks will be one year old on June 1st. We should have a party also. And definitely include some wine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you should have a party! What a great excuse to drink champagne and sit in the garden (as if we really need an excuse to do that!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please consider coming to the city counsel meeting Monday June 21 and noon to try to change the CdA ordinance only allowing 3 chickens per household.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and sharing your comments! Candace

Related Posts with Thumbnails