Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Got Green Tomatoes? This Recipe Takes the Cake

I'm still plucking pinkish-orange tomatoes out from under their plastic cocoon, but I also know the abundance of greenies hanging out there are just not going to make it.  I found this unusual recipe for Green Tomato Cake on the Food Network website.  It's from Paula Deen, so it's loaded with butter, y'all! 


You can see the diced green tomatoes in the batter
I did a little recipe adjustments; substituting a 1/2 cup of canola oil for one stick of butter, and I did not make the brown butter icing, but opted for turbinado sugar sprinkled on top. The cake has a wonderful, moist pound cake texture and you'd never know green tomatoes are present from taste (although you can see pieces of green). 


Yum!  We could hardly wait to give it a try - it was delish!
 I'm always happy when I bake a success, it doesn't always work out this way (just ask my friends about the cheesecake and the chainsaw).  However, this is one that I would make again and actually serve. A sweet way to use up those those last few emerald gems of summer.

1 comment:

Thanks for reading and sharing your comments! Candace

Related Posts with Thumbnails